by Sojourner Staff
ITHACA – Contingent faculty at Ithaca College, being represented by SEIU Local 200, have struck a deal with the college after a lengthy bargaining session on Sunday. The strike, supported by contingent faculty, tenure-track faculty, students and allied unions who promised not to cross picket lines, was to commence tomorrow.
Entire departments also were reported to be supportive of the strike and not planning on filling positions with substitutes.
IC contingent faculty voted last month to approve the strike. The issues at hand on behalf of the contingent staff were pay parity per lecture with tenured staff and job security. Instead of the year to year contracts currently offered to full-time contingent faculty members, they will receive two-year contracts after three years and three-year contracts after five years.
Among the other details in the win for IC contingent staff:
- An established path towards pay parity for part-time faculty. Part-time faculty will receive immediate raises, as well as annual raises totaling $1,025 per three-credit course over the life of their contract. “We believe that because of our hard work the administration is committed to the concept of pay parity going forward,” they said.
- More stability for full-time contingent faculty. Full-time contingent faculty will be eligible for two-year appointments after three years of teaching at Ithaca College and three-year appointments after five years of teaching at Ithaca College.
- More stability for part-time contingent faculty. Part-time contingent faculty will be eligible for two-year appointments after three years of teaching at Ithaca College. In addition, if classes are cut last minute, part-time contingent faculty will receive a $1,300 kill fee per class canceled.
- Earlier notice of appointment for full-time and part-time contingent faculty to plan our lives.
Guaranteed interview and consideration for minimally qualified full-time and part-time contingent faculty applying for any full-time faculty position.
- Access to professional development funding
- The right to be one faculty union
- A grievance procedure as well as just cause provision so no one will be fired without just cause.
- A labor management committee which will meet regularly to discuss contingent faculty concerns.
- Contingent faculty will be eligible for the same teaching excellence awards as tenured and tenure track faculty.
- Earlier fall semester pay day for part-time faculty.